Let's Learn Japanese!

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The best place on the net to learn and practice Japanese!

Keywords

Latest topics

» おもしろそうな漢字学習APPを見つけました!
Tips for people who have never been to Japan! EmptyThu Nov 13, 2014 8:29 pm by carrie

» Electronic Dictionaries
Tips for people who have never been to Japan! EmptyWed Oct 23, 2013 2:24 am by アカネコ

» Can you cook?
Tips for people who have never been to Japan! EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 7:29 am by Furiida

» Have you ever been to Japan?
Tips for people who have never been to Japan! EmptySat Aug 17, 2013 9:32 am by cinnadin

» Japanese etiquette
Tips for people who have never been to Japan! EmptyThu Aug 08, 2013 11:03 am by Furiida

» Shiritori ^_^
Tips for people who have never been to Japan! EmptySat Aug 03, 2013 10:02 am by RexAiris

» Share Japanese Music , ongaku
Tips for people who have never been to Japan! EmptyMon Jul 29, 2013 7:00 pm by cinnadin

» First place in your mind
Tips for people who have never been to Japan! EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 4:36 am by RexAiris

» Mayroon bang mga pinoy dyan. Pakilala naman kayo.
Tips for people who have never been to Japan! EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 9:23 am by アカネコ

May 2024

MonTueWedThuFriSatSun

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates

free forum

2 posters

Tips for people who have never been to Japan!

johna2
    Forum Manager
    Forum Manager

Tips for people who have never been to Japan! Empty Tips for people who have never been to Japan!

Post by johna2 Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:39 pm

Please post tips for people who have never been to Japan!

I remember when I went the first time, there were things we wished we had known beforehand. haha.

- Banks, in the US, at least, tend to charge ATM fees, so when you take cash out, take it in BULK!!
    - Japan doesn't have to be all that expensive, once you are there. The best places to eat are the small shops that are tucked away out of the tourist areas. Wink
    - It's okay to talk to Japanese people if you're new to Japanese. Just make sure that you try to use polite speech, if possible. Most of them appreciate the effort!

- Japanese transit systems are great and go almost everywhere, so car rentals are almost never needed.

- If you CAN, and you're new to Japan and/or Japanese culture, see if you can find a crash course in basic Japanese culture. It's not imperative, but it will make your life MUUUUUCH easier when you get there are you are MUCH less likely to make a fool of yourself.

I'm sure I've missed a ton. Anything else you guys can think of?
    Furiida
    Furiida

Tips for people who have never been to Japan! Empty Re: Tips for people who have never been to Japan!

Post by Furiida Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:17 pm

Bring a deodorant from your own country. Especially if you travel during the summer. The humidity, I hear, is horrible. And it's not very easy to find proper deodorants there.

Remember that the standard hair colour in Japan is dark if you're planning on dyeing your hair. I didn't, and my blonde hair became yellow. As if I didn't already stand out, haha!

ALWAYS carry a map. Or you might get lost. House numbers are not in order and a lot of streets don't have names.

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 12:16 am